At 10:15 AM 12/18/00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Flem, thanks for the confirmation.
>Chuck, given the age of the RFC, I seriously doubt that Nagle intended the
>router to do anything too complicated.

Routers were always part of the TCP/IP architecture, even if they were
called gateways or Interface Message Processors? But I agree with your main
point that routers generally don't play a role with the Nagle algorithm,
unless the router is one of the TCP endpoints.

>The Cisco command reference I suspect was written by somebody who didn't
>delve too deeply into what the command does.  I guess I would have expected
>some note pointing out that it only applies to sessions terminating at the
>router,

That's for sure.

>if that is the case, as most IOS commands affect through traffic
>(OK, most commands don't deal with the transport layer...)
>And how many people use XWindows to connect to a router?

Well don't forget Telnet runs on top of TCP too.

Priscilla