"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> >Hi everybody:
> >I am study BSCN,there are something confused me:
> >in the book they says:The highest IP address on an active interface is
> >normally used as the router ID, but this can be overridden by configuring an
> >IP address on a loopback interface.
> >I want to know which will be the Router ID if the loopback IP address
> >smaller than the active interface IP address?
> >Any suggestion will be appreciate,thanks.
> >
> >Will Guan
> >frome Peking, China
>
> If there are multiple loopback, the router ID will be the numerically
> highest IP address on any loopback. In other words,
        [snip]
And the part that some folks forget is that once a router ID is active,
it will not change if another interface is made active, or the IP of
another interface is changed to a higher value.  The rationale is
stability, since all other routers in the area are tracking this one
by its present router ID.  The same principle applies to the DR election
-- there is no coup option.

Now if you were to shut down the interface with the existing router ID...

  Marty Adkins                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Mentor Technologies          Phone: 410-280-8840 x3006
  275 West Street, Plaza 70    WWW: http://www.mentortech.com
  Annapolis, MD  21401         Cisco CCIE #1289