Comments within:

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Pierre-Alex GUANEL
Sent:   Friday, December 22, 2000 11:37 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        frame-relay

I have spent many hours trying to comprehend the exerpt bellow (from Cisco
CD). Still no light. Can someone help?

CL: isn't there a Beatles' song along these lines?

"This command is typically used for subinterfaces; however, it can also be
used on main interfaces. Using the frame-relay interface-dlci command on
main interfaces will enable the use of routing protocols on interfaces that
use Inverse ARP. The frame-relay interface-dlci command on a main interface
is also valuable for assigning a specific class to a single PVC where
special characteristics are desired."

1. How can the command frame-relay interface-dlci enable the use of routing
protocols??!!??

CL: it doesn't directly. But placing the command aids in the inverse-arp
process.  I suggest reading Caslow's chapter on frame-relay, and then trying
a few of his examples to absorb the complexities involved.

2. What do they mean by "specific class"?

CL: I believe they are referring to QoS or traffic shaping. In general, one
trick of the trade is to add PVC's and assign different classes of service
to those PVC's. Folks doing voice over frame have told me they do things
like this.

3. What characteristics are they talking about?

CL: see previous answer

Please explain AND illustrate each point...

CL: left my crayons elsewhere. Besides, they don't work well in e-mail.
Sorry :->

Thankfully,

CL: you're welcome-ly  :->
Have a great holiday!!!