Somewhere back in this thread somebody wrote:

> > > Are you sure you can plug the RSM into slot #2.  I remember
> > > someone telling me to have it in slot 12.  Please let me know if
> > > this is the case, our 5500 uses slot 2 for a back up sup III
> > > module and slot 12 for the RSM with Vip module.

Let's get really hardware geeky for a minute...

The 5500 has three 1.2 (or thereabouts) Gbps backplane buses.  Slots 1-5
can access all three backplanes by themselves *IF* the blade in question
can access all three backplanes.  The 5000 had only one bus and the
blades it supports can go in any slot, but use only one bus.  Only the
newer blades can access multiple buses at the same time.

The "specialty" of the "bottom" slots (10 or 11 to 13) was for ATM
originally, as they access a separate bus on the backplane dedicated for
ATM.  If you have ATM blades, they go in the bottom.  Period.

As for the RSM, I *think* it can go in any slot.  The maximum bandwidth
supported between the RSM and the Cat is 400Mbps - so that
in effect it has a "virtual" 4-line fast etherchannel link with the
switch.  But that is it, no faster (for the RSM, newer blades
excluded).  So it can quite comfortably fit on one bus.

The "big five" slots (1-5) should be used for supervisors (the SUP3 and
beyond can hit all three buses) and newer blades like the ones with the
"R" suffix and beyond, which can hit multiple buses.

Jeff Kell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>