On 27-Dec-2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can you help
> I 'm curently preparing for the BSCN exam which I hope to take end Jan
> beginning Feb. But I seem to be confused on some terminology on OSPF
> configuration. Consider the following line router ospf 1
> I know 1 is the proccess ID. The problem is how does this differ from the AS
> or area ?
> In contrast, in the following command  router eigrp 200. 200 is the AS
> Is there a reason for this?
> I'll appreciate any help.
> Peace

The number "1" in that statement only means which instance of OSPF running
on the router. You could have router ospf 1 and be part of an OSPF AS
on one interface and have router ospf 2 on a different OSPF AS on a
different interface. It's ugly and something really uncommonly used
(the preferred thing would be to run BGP between the two OSPF AS's
but this would be the way to go if you had a single router connecting
them, rather than a pair of routers (one at each location)). OSPF has
no concept of numbered AS's. If OSPF is being spoken on a particular
segment of the network, that's the only instance that's supposed to be
running there. I think that you could run two seperate OSPF AS's on the
same wire by using different auth keys on the different routers, but
some OSPF implementations really scream when they see this. In a
nutshell, EIGRP has this mechanism for being able to run seperate
EIGRP AS's on the same medium while OSPF doesn't.