I'm sure this will generate some chatter on the board,
but here goes...

I doubt that this is an IOS issue, but you could
always try upgrading. Having said that...

There is technically no specification for 10 Mbps
full-duplex, so vendor support is based on proprietary
methodologies and chipsets, and, most of the time, it
works. My guess is that the IOS is 'smart' enough to
know that the first card cannot handle the service,
but 'thinks' the second card can (different chipsets).

Yes, you can envoke 10 FD if the vendor allows it -
however, I would use caution and only attempt it with
end devices from the same family (read as Cisco is not
enough - it needs to be acquired product family as
warranted). In addition, I also recommend NEVER using
auto-sense for speed or duplex.
Ideally, just stick with 10 HD and allow the
collisions. On a switched connection its not a big
deal typically - otherwise, go to 100 FD on both
platforms.

Hope that helps.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/inter_r/irdelay.htm#xtocid16273170

> Darren Ward wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Here's a question for one and all.....
> >
> > A 3640 with a 1E2W running Enterprise IOS 11.3.8
> does not have the
> > full-duplex command available for the ethernet.
> >
> > However a different 3640 with a 4E card running IP
> Plus IOS 12.0.7T does
> > support the full-duplex command on the ethernet
> ports.
> >
> > The question I have since I can't find it with a
> search on CCO is if the
> > support for 'full-duplex' is based on the card or
> the IOS?
> >
> > Darren Ward

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --