In the real world, there's no precise definition for either of those terms.
For the DCN (CCDA) test Cisco makes you distinguish the two.

I think the way Cisco uses the terms, a prototype tests just one portion of
a new network whereas a pilot is an attempt to roll out the complete new
network design on a test basis. According to Cisco, for large network
designs, it's often not practical to pilot the whole thing, so a prototype
is done instead.

For the DCN test, you can probably assume that if the network is big, they
want you to recommend a prototype. If the network is small, they want you
to recommend a pilot. Also, if the customer is concerned about cost, then
recommend a prototype, rather than a pilot.

This distinction between a prototype and pilot was not in my original
version of the DCN class. I'm not sure when it crept in, but it's pretty
poorly handled. The Cisco Press DCN book says the steps for building a
pilot are: test the design, investigate the competition, and script a
demonstration of the test results. They never explain how to actually build
a pilot or provide a definition of a pilot. They just say, "test the
design." For a real discussion of testing a network design, see the book,
"The Art of Testing Network Systems," by Buchanan. This is a great book.

Priscilla