Hi all,

In my real world, a prototype is a lab presentation and testing of what we want
to realise, and a pilot is a second step in which we setup a small but real
implementation of what we want to realise, whith real users working on as a
test...
This in facts exactly what Cisco recomend :
buils everything in a lab, and when it works, build a part of your real
network, whith real users, to validate your lab...

Hope this helps,
 Jean-Marc

On 29-Dec-00 Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> In the real world, there's no precise definition for either of those terms.
> For the DCN (CCDA) test Cisco makes you distinguish the two.
>
> I think the way Cisco uses the terms, a prototype tests just one portion of
> a new network whereas a pilot is an attempt to roll out the complete new
> network design on a test basis. According to Cisco, for large network
> designs, it's often not practical to pilot the whole thing, so a prototype
> is done instead.
>
> For the DCN test, you can probably assume that if the network is big, they
> want you to recommend a prototype. If the network is small, they want you
> to recommend a pilot. Also, if the customer is concerned about cost, then
> recommend a prototype, rather than a pilot.
>
> This distinction between a prototype and pilot was not in my original
> version of the DCN class. I'm not sure when it crept in, but it's pretty
> poorly handled. The Cisco Press DCN book says the steps for building a
> pilot are: test the design, investigate the competition, and script a
> demonstration of the test results. They never explain how to actually build
> a pilot or provide a definition of a pilot. They just say, "test the
> design." For a real discussion of testing a network design, see the book,
> "The Art of Testing Network Systems," by Buchanan. This is a great book.
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 08:22 AM 12/30/00, Hunt wrote:
>>Can anyone please tell me what is the difference between a prototype and a
>>pilot?  And when will you use them?
>>
>>Hunt

>>Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

E-Mail: Jean-Marc Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30-Dec-00
Time: 00:08:48