I concur with Jonathan.  I have worked in the past for minicomputer and
mainframe engineering departments.  The prototypes were built from sketches
and uncontrolled documentation.  You could change anything you wanted at any
time.  Once the engineers got the desired funtionality working, they
documented the unit and put all of the hardware documentation and software
under Engineering Change Order (ECO) control.  The Pilots were then built
using the controlled documentation to purchase custom parts and assemble
units in small volume, usually in Manufacturing Engineering.  After the
pilots were produced and accepted, transfer to volume manufacturing could
take place.

Vern Stitt
AE, ASE, CCA, CCNA, MCSE

""Jonathan Hays"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
These terms derive from industries predating the Computer Revolution. The
full terms are
more self-explanatory: Prototype Development and Pilot Production. In the
Pilot
Production phase the majority of bugs have been removed and a small
Production run
results in enough units to attempt a last real-world verification of the
unit before
finalizing the Production line hardware, software, processes, etc. Not a big
deal in the
software world but at a big automotive electronics plant (for example) that
might
produce hundreds or thousands of automotive control computers PER DAY the
Pilot
Production phase is critical.