Nigel... take another look, I don't think its split-horizon,  router 2 is
only a frame switch.  That would make it strictly a peer config, not hub and
spoke.

Next,  please post the configs of R1 and R3.  What IP addresses are on R3
for S0 and L0?  If you have the same networks on both R1 and R3, I don't
think you would have any RIP routes, because all networks would be directly
connected.

Also, is this RIP v1  or v2?

With RIP v1 , when receiving information about routes within the same major
network, hosts and routers assume the same prefix length as that on the
incoming interface of the route information (assuming it is not in the same
major subnet).  The subnet mask of S0 in your config would be fairly
critical.  If the 172 address has a 16 bit mask on R1, and S0 has a 24 bit
mask, the 172 route on R3 will appear with a 16 bit mask.    Again, need the
configs to see what is happening.

I'm not quite certain how it would be handled if you have the same subnet
defined on both routers.... I kind of assume that since it should have a
directly connected route, the RIP route would be discarded.

Using the 'debug ip rip' command, you can actually see the update sent by
the router.

I put together a lab to better understand RIP,  you can find the lab and
results with links to CCO at
http://omaha.ciscousers.org/lab/lab_challenge.htm

Ed