-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Brian
Lodwick
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 1:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Setting up a DHCP server on a cisco router

Leroy,
He said he wanted the router to give the client the IP addressing
information. In your example the router is forwarding bootp broadcasts and a
Windows box is giving the client the IP addressing information.

>>>Brian
It's a brave man who, when things are at their darkest, can kick back and
party! -- Dennis Quaid, "Inner Space"

>From: Leroy Burns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "'Andrew Larkins'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>"'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: Setting up a DHCP server on a cisco router
>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:36:21 -0500
>
>I hope this will help using DHCP
>
>DHCP Relay
>DHCP relay typically runs on a router and the relay support is available on
>Windows NT Server version 4.0 and Windows 2000 Server. On Cisco 700 series
>routers, you can turn on DHCP relay with the set dhcp relay command. You
>can
>turn on DHCP relay on a Cisco IOS router by configuring ip helper-address
>with the address of the DHCP server on each interface that will have DHCP
>clients. The ip helper-address command forwards many other IP broadcasts,
>including DNS, Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP), and NetBIOS name
>service packets. To forward only DHCP requests, see the following example
>configuration. For more information, see the "Configuring Broadcast
>Handling" section in the Network Protocols Configuration Guide, Part I.
>no ip forward-protocol udp tftp
>no ip forward-protocol udp dns [This command is not listed in IOS! J.R.]
>no ip forward-protocol udp time
>no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns
>no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-dgm
>no ip forward-protocol udp tacacs
>ip forward-protocol udp bootpc
>!
>interface ethernet 0
>ip helper-address 172.16.12.15
>interface ethernet 1
>ip helper-address 172.16.12.15
>Exerpt from: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/winnt_dg.htm#xtocid88299
>You must apply the ip helper-address [dhcp server IP] to EVERY interface,
>including the serial.
>Whew! Makes a man feel mancho to solve such problems.

_
>_
>

>Leroy Burns - LAN Administrator
>75 Piedmont Avenue, Suite 1200
>Atlanta, GA 30303-2507
>
>Direct Voice and Fax: 678.365.2661

cisco2501#show running-config

Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.1
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname cisco2501
!
no logging console
enable secret 5 $1$QAjL$5D.YF.Io57Fr02o5MG23U.
enable password router
!
!
!
!
!
ip subnet-zero
no ip dhcp conflict logging
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.49 192.168.0.50
!
ip dhcp pool test
   network 192.168.0.48 255.255.255.240
   domain-name Rock.com
   dns-server 204.127.160.2
   default-router 192.168.0.50
!
ip dhcp pool tes
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
 ip address 192.168.0.49 255.255.255.240
 ip helper-address 192.168.0.34
 no ip mroute-cache
!
interface Serial0
 bandwidth 56
 ip address 192.168.0.33 255.255.255.240
 ip helper-address 192.168.0.33
 ip helper-address 192.168.0.34
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip split-horizon
 no ip mroute-cache
 clockrate 56000
!
interface Serial1
 no ip address
 no ip mroute-cache
 shutdown
!
router eigrp 100
 network 192.168.0.0
!
ip classless
no ip http server
!
snmp-server engineID local 00000009020000000C0A109E
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server packetsize 2048
!
line con 0