A good rule, in both network management and routing, is to use the
tool that gives you the minimum amount of information to do the job
-- you want that which is necessary and sufficient, but not more.
Early in networking careers, and often in life in general, people
want to know everything and control everything. With experience, you
tend to reduce scope to what is important.

I'm in total agreement with Teunis that you start by defining the
decision you want to make, then define the reports and displays on
which you'd make the decision, and then select the tools that give
the information to create those reports and displays.

There's a nasty tendency among some marketeers to flog their
newest-and-greatest product for collecting data that no one has any
use for. Analysis is harder than collection. The intelligence
community is legendary about having warehouses full of unanalyzed
materials, because the glory jobs there are in collection, not
analysis.

Years ago, I worked for Tesdata, a company that made network
management monitors. One of my responsibilities was evaluating
special development requests from customers.

My standard question for the requester was:

    "Assume the monitor magically gave you exactly the measurement you are
asking for.  On the basis of an absolutely correct measurement of
that parameter, what would you change in your operational
environment?"

If the answer was essentially "I wouldn't change anything, but it
would be nice to know," my interpretation was that this was not
something to develop.

Cisco didn't.