From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Erick B.
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 1:44 PM
To: Steve Linney; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VTP Protocal Cisco 5000 and 3com Superstack II 1100

I read somewhere that they are working on revising the
802.1q standard to support per-vlan STPs and it's
based on Cisco's per vlan STP. Not sure what the
current status is. You could turn off STP to avoid
this I think (haven't tried) if your network layout
doesn't have any loops, etc. Of course, if they do
update the 802.1q standard then the vendors will need
to update their code, etc. So, if vendors don't follow
a standard to the spec or slightly modify it then you
might run into problems. Thats why their are standards
and why it's important people stick to them.

As for FastEtherChannel vs Trunking on Bay comment,
FastEtherChannel is Cisco propiertary trunking method.
Bay has same thing but it is also Bay propiertary and
is called different things on different Bay/Nortel
products (on the switches it's called MLT, on BayRS
it's called multiline, other products may have other
names).

--- Steve Linney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>