I may be on to my own answer.  I will add the information here in case it
comes up again. I have discovered that RJ connectors are actually defined in
the Code of Federal Regulations, which seems an odd place to me.
Specifically at Title 47 Chapter 1 Part 68, which is available online at
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_00/47cfr68_00.html

The relevant information appears to be in 68.500 and 68.502. I will be
reading these. If anyone has any other information, please let me know.

93ouel$gnm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:93ouel$gnm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...