Do you mean a Catalyst 3000 EtherSwitch?
Seem to remember that the console port (9 pin) required a null modem adapter
to work.
There are two AUI adapters. The SwitchProbe port adjacent to the console
port is similar to a SPAN port on a Cat5K. It must be configured from the
menu. The other AUI port on the front allows connectivity via a transceiver
to thin or thick coax. If you use the AUI then you can't use the #1 RJ-45
port.