Hi,

As I understand it you are using LPT1 on your PC.  My learning has always indicated
that the LPT ports are parallel ports.  These are very different electrically from the
com ports which are serial ports.  The connections to the switch are serial
connecteions these are the ports used by the terminal emulators therefore the
emulators will not give you access to the LPT ports.

LPT ports are normally used for printers, scanners and devices that connect in very
close proximity to the PC.  They typically use 8 wires for data 8 wires for data
return various other leads for clocking and clocking returns.

Com or serial ports are normally used for external com devices and  typically use
transmit, receive, signal ground and some timing wires such as CTS, RTS, DTR, DCD.

Hope this helps.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

On Tuesday, January 16, 2001 at 05:16:06 PM, Michael Vaughan wrote:

www.tasmail.com