In my experience, there exist some bridge table variations from vendor to vendor that
might impact on your unicast forwarding idea.  I'm not positive what Cisco does and
maybe someone can comment, but I have seen many implementations that build separate
MAC - Interface tables per VLAN, thus fully isolation traffic from one VLAN to the
other(s).

In theory, VLAN technology should involve complete separation of traffic from VLAN to
VLAN and not simply isolation of all 1's broadcasts.  I expect this is exactly the
case in most vendors implementations but never really tried to verify it.  Keep in
mind that again, VLAN technology was not solely designed for IP networks.

To you point below, the 802.1d compliant switch is a layer 2 device and does not
decode layer 3 headers and thus it doesn't matter what addresses (be they IP or
otherwise) you assign to whatever devices you chose to attach to it.  As far as
documentation goes, I haven't seen much outside of 802.1q document ion which exists I
believe as a subset of a revised 802.1d spec out of the IEEE.  The basic functionality
to me isn't reflective of something one would need a document for, given RFC's and
such are designed to enable multi vendor inter operability among other things.

-pete

On 1/17/2001 at 1:33 PM Bob Vance wrote:

>And, I suppose (more idle speculation, Bob??) ...
>
>If you had two sets of devices and no need for communication between
>those sets, you could theoretically create 2 VLANs with addresses all
>within the same subnet (ignoring any possible restrictions in a
>particular piece of switch code).
>
>Even then, you *would* be able even to talk TCP/IP between those VLANs,
>if unicasts were forwarded by the switch outside the VLAN (and you were
>willing to create manual, permanent ARP entries where needed) --
>but, they're not.  BTW, is this a CISCO-specific implementation
>or are there VLAN RFCs that prescribe necessary behavior.

>Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
>Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
>Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511

---
Peter A. van Oene
Juniper Networks Inc.