Hmm, I think I know what the question is, however I don't really have an
answer right now if I'm right.

Picture two different scenarios:

<<1>>

Workstation A, B and C are connected to a switch that IS NOT running VLAN,
hence they are in the same broadcast domain. The IP addresses are as
follows:

        A       : 10.0.0.10 / 8
        B       : 10.0.0.11 / 8
        C       : 192.168.29.14 / 24

If A wants to send to C, it broadcasts an ARP request for 192.168.29.14
which the switch forwards to C, and C replies back with it's MAC address,
and A can now send to C.

This is however (I believe) a bad configuration.

<<2>>

Workstation A, B and C are connected to a switch that IS running VLAN, and
with the same IP addresses as in example 1, A and B are in VLAN 11 and C is
in VLAN 12 - hence they are in two different broadcast domains.

If A wants to send to C, it broadcasts an ARP request for 192.168.29.14, but
the switch does not forward it since C is on a different broadcast domain.

A now has to send the data to it's Default Gateway.

I think that the question is : If you take example 2, why doesn't the switch
just reply to station A's ARP request with C's MAC address, so A can send
directly to C anyway.

Have a fun brain storm,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~