A VLAN is, by definition, a separate subnet.  If you decided to separate a
single LAN into two VLANs, you'll have to change your addressing scheme.
Once you've done that, you have to route to get from one subnet to the
other.  I don't even like the term "VLAN".  The very term seems to cause a
lot of conceptual problems.

For example, let's say you have one LAN and you decide to create a new VLAN
for a total of two VLANs.  This is absolutely no different than having two
normal LANs on different ports on a router: you have two separate IP subnets
and you must route to get from one to the other.  The only difference is
that you can use trunking to pass data for both subnets down the same wire,
and you can then let a switch split that traffic up and send it to thcorrect
ports.

Imagine the router with two separate ethernet interfaces, each in its own
subnet, and these are connected to two separate switches.  There is no
topological difference between that scenario and a router doing ISL or
802.1q trunking to a switch that is configured for two VLANs.  The
requirements for connectivity are the same:  you must have a router to get
from one subnet to the other.  Even though they are physically on the same
switch, topologically speaking they are on different networks.

I hope this makes sense.  I had three people stop by my cube to talk and I
had three phone calls while trying to write this.  :-)

Regards,
John