Cisco and Unix don't use ping for traceroute.

Like Microsoft, Cisco and Unix depend on intermediate routers to decrement
the TTL and send ICMP TTL Exceeded. But unlike Microsoft, Cisco and Unix
send a UDP frame to a high UDP port, starting with 33434. They rely on the
end station sending an ICMP Destination Unreachable/Port Unreachable, which
doesn't always work because some end stations don't send it.

Priscilla