How does this seem as a reason for making router/network equipment addresses
the lower addresses.

Subnet is 192.168.16.0/24 with router 192.168.16.1
Subnet needs to expand to 192.168.16.0/23 (So router remains in a sensible
location at lower end as opposed to stuck in the middle of subnet as it
would be at 192.168.16.254)

Similarly:
Subnet is 192.168.16.0/24 with router 192.168.16.1
Subnet needs to shrink to 192.168.16.0/25  or /26 or /27 etc
No matter how far you shrink the subnet, the router remains in the subnet.
If it had been 192.168.16.254 it would have had to change to .126, .62, .30
respectively.

My 2cents/pence/etc

Gareth

""Chuck Larrieu"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
001401c07f67$8b83bec0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:001401c07f67$8b83bec0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> One place I worked placed all their routers at the dot 100 address.
Printers