You probably were told it couldnt be done.  I know I couldn't do it because
the IOS was too old but here's something I pulled off of Cisco's site.

The following example shows how to use the copy xmodem flash command on a
Cisco 2500 series router:

Router# copy xmodem flash

                               **** WARNING ****

       x/ymodem is a slow transfer protocol limited to the current speed

       settings of the auxiliary/console ports. The use of the auxilary

       port for this download is strongly recommended.

       During the course of the download no exec input/output will be

       available.

                               ---- ******* ----
       Proceed? [confirm] yes

       Use crc block checksumming? [confirm] yes

       Max Retry Count [10]:
       Perform image validation checks? [confirm] yes

       Xmodem download using crc checksumming with image validation
       Continue? [confirm] yes

       Partition   Size    Used      Free      Bank-Size  State
Copy Mode
         1         4096K   3259K      836K     4096K      Read/Write
Direct
         2         4096K      0K     4095K     4096K      Read/Write
Direct

       [Type ?<no> for partition directory; ? for full directory; q to
abort]
       Which partition? [default = 1] 2

       System flash directory, partition 2:
       File  Length   Name/status
         1   68       TESTFILE
       [132 bytes used, 4194172 available, 4194304 total]
       Destination file name? c2500-js-l.113-10

       Erase flash device before writing? [confirm] yes

       Flash contains files. Are you sure you want to erase? [confirm] yes