At 03:37 PM 1/22/01, Jack Williams wrote:

>The propagation delay for Ethernet must not be greater than 512 bit times or
>you'll get late collisions (as Tim said).  Since the speed of light is
>constant and 10-baseT bits last 10 times longer than 100-baseT bits, that
>directly influences how long of a cable you can run!
>
>That sounded like Nonsense, didn't it?

It doesn't sound too much like nonsense. :-) I think the part that people
miss when they read the jargon in some books is the relationship between
512 bit times and 64 bytes. 64 x 8 = 512. The minimum size frame is 64
bytes. It takes 512 "bit times" to send it. Sounds obvious, but I think we
miss the obvious sometimes....

The physical size of the network is limited so that a station is still
sending the minimum size frame (64 bytes) if a collision occurs and
reflects back to the sender. If the sender were not still sending, the
frame would have to be retransmitted by a higher layer. For an upper layer
to notice that the frame needs retransmitting takes much more time.
Ethernet retransmissions occur within nanoseconds usually.

Priscilla