Hi,

My understanding is that routers perform basically two functions one is to route that
is to find the best path a given message should take and the other is to switch that
is once the route is known to send the data to the appropriate interface.  I think
what they are saying in the book.  If you know the path a message should take that is
the route then why go through the procedure of identifying it again why not just
switch it.

I know what I'm trying to say.  What they say in the book is right "why burden the
CPU".

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia