I think it's a question of total throughput.  If the RP has to hit every packet, then
you will have a queue full of packets waiting their turn to get out.  By using the SP,
those packets that must be processed by the RP will get through that queue much sooner.
And that paired with the SP's higher speed makes the entire system more efficient.
This
is my take on the process.  A bit simplistic, but I's just a simple guy.

Rob