whoooaa there, cowboy..!!   I would say it certainly
has S/THING to do with S/THING...C'mon!!

I wasn't doing a whois on
microsoft.blah.blah.whatever. I was running whois on
"microsoft.com".  Some DNS redirection at the very
least was happening.

To say it "has nothing to do with anything" is just
plain absurd.

--- Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Dan West wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...doesn't sound like quite the whole picture.
> How
> > would that explain what happened when you ran a
> > "whois" on microsoft.com?????  Did anyone else see
> > that?!?! It was pretty funny. -- about 15 lines of
> > hacker orgs and comments about MS.
>
> That has nothing to do with anything. The query used
> to search the whois
> database is fairly loose and brings up any hostname
> that has the word
> microsoft in it. aol.com does the same thing. So if
> I registred a DNS
> server called microsoft.suck.tigerteam.net it would
> show up also.
>

> > A more frightening possibility....did someone hack
> the
> > DNS root servers??
>
> No.
>
> andy