There are three main types on environments (I hope)

Broadcast
Point-to-Point
NBMA (Non-Broadcast Multi-Access)

Point to Point would not be a multi-access segment. The other two would. An
Example of Broadcast is Ethernet, while an example of NBMA would be
Frame-Relay. Following this logic ' DR and BDR concepts ' would not have to
be broadcast, only multi-access. Point to point creates an adjacency instead
of using DR's and BDR's.

I hope the diagram below turns out, but the first one is point to point, so
information is exchanged directly, however in a multi-access environment
both other routers only exchange information with the DR so as not to have
to have an adjacency with every single router.

X-------X

  ----O
X-|
  ----O

If OSPF worked that way and you had 10 routers connected via Ethernet, each
would each have to exchange information with the other 9. That would create
45 adjacency's. Way to much traffic would have to exchanged. With those same
10 Routers using OSPF DR and BDR concepts, you could have 1 Router with 10
"Adjacency's" total. Much less routing traffic. I hope I haven't muddled
things to much.

Joey