Believe it or not, I did once see (a bug) where the OS didn't allow a
zero in a byte of the host portion of the IP address, even though the
*total* host portion was not zero!! (I can't remember which OS, though
-- I'm thinking an early HP-UX, but possibly Windoze).

E.g., something like,
    10.10.10.10 / 16   was valid
but 10.10.10.0 / 16   was *invalid* !

However, this was just in assigning the address -- i.e., it wouldn't
even let me assign it to the interface.

I don't see how this could affect you, though.

>I believe that the problem lies with the zero being used as a third
>octet

ACLs don't have any intelligence.
They don't care about broadcast addresses, subnet masks, DOS or hack
attacks, or anything -- just simple bit matching.
The only intelligence involved is in the ACL's creator :)

Thus

    access-list 1  permit  host 10.130.0.24
    ip access-group 1 in

should allow in *only* traffic from that host (assuming that there *is*
any) -- of course that may not be what you *really* want ;>)
The ACL doesn't care about any value of any byte in that address -- he
only matches bits (of course, in this case, the statement told him to
*care* about *every* bit, however :)

More specifically,

    access-list 101  permit tcp  10.130.0.24  0.0.0.0     any eq telnet
    access-list 101  deny   ip   10.130.0.0   0.143.255.255  any
    access-list 101  permit ip   any any

would
  permit telnet in from that host,
  deny all other ip traffic from the 10.128.0.0 /12 subnet
  permit all other traffic

Of course, it all depends on the details of what you're trying to do.

What's the exact problem?
Is it that *no* traffic is blocked or is it that that host is blocked,
even though you think that you've let it thru?
Let's see the ACLs.

Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511