The zero in the third octet is fine.

--
Neil Schneider
MCT  MCSE  CCNP

""Randy Witt"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Have an issue, hope many of you don't feel this is too off topic. Many of
you have helped me in the past with certification questions, perhaps you can
assist with this one as well.

> I am trying to establish a connection to the City of Greenville's network.
What should be a simple connection is giving me fits.

> I'm currently using 2 Cisco 1601 routers, routing RIPv2. From my network
to the city's, I pass through a total of 5 routers (2 our mine, 3 belong to
the city). Currently I can communicate with each router and vice versa via
Telnet or ping. However, thecity of Greenville'snetwork has the following IP
address 10.128.0.0/12 (or 255.240.0.0). The interface attached to the city
of Greenville's network is 10.130.0.1/12. Everything within this network has
3'd octet of zero.

> Originally, fromhis network he could not ping us, however I could ping him
(him beingthe net admin using aPC with an address of 10.130.0.24/12). I
added a default route on one of my Cisco's pointing back to his network and
that problem went away. Now I'm trying to add an ACL on our router blocking
all but Telnet traffic coming from a host on his network to a host within
our network. In testing I can get the ACL's to work for every system except
one on the 10.128.0.0 subnet. By work I mean on the networks in between my
network and the city's I can setup ICMP or Telnet ACL's permitting traffic
and they can get in. This was done for testing purposes only. My goal is to
lock everyone out but the host w/ an IP address of 10.130.0.24/12.

> I believe that the problem lies with the zero being used as athird octet
However I've seen Cisco documentation using zero's as host addresses. I'm a
bit confused for I've found plenty of documentation stating that zero's in
the network/subnet address aren't recommended, however I can find nothing
stating zero's in the "host" portion aren't recommended.

> Any ideas? Has anyone come across a problem like this before?
>
> Simple answer would be to tell the city of Greenville to remove the zero
in the third octet and replace it with aone or higher. The answer from them
is that it would be too much trouble. This is their default gateway for over
450 machines. So I'm looking for help to see if there's anything else I can
try.