Seeing that nobody had really addressed your question yet, I decided to
take a stab at it.

T1 is a high-speed digital carrier facility developed by AT&T in the 1950s
to support long-haul pulse-code modulation (PCM) voice transmission. T1
provides digital voice circuits or "channels." There are 24 channels per
each T1 line or "trunk."

AT&T describes their Digital Carrier System as a "two-point, dedicated,
high capacity, digital service provided on terrestrial digital facilities
capable of transmitting 1.544 Mbps. The interface to the customer can be
either a T1 carrier or a higher order multiplexed facility."

So, what do you think? To send data on this do we need to encapsulate it?
You betcha, as Leo on TechTalk would say. That's why we have "encapsulation
frame-relay" and "encapsulation ppp," among others.

Hope that helps a bit.

Priscilla