Hi there to everyone.  I have a computer question I need help with.  I am
not super-technical with computers so forgive any of my ignorance.  My
question relates to networking and cable modems.  I am running an
application for my business from my computer.  My business partner lives in
another town and she would like to be able to access the software from her
location.  I checked with the software manufacturer and they said that the
software supports this.  They said that we can install the application on
both machines and that the database will reside only on my machine (the
host).  Then, they said we need to establish a "network" between the two
machines so that the remote machine can map a drive to my machine.

My partner needs to map a drive to my computer so that when she logs in, she
can point to the database located on my machine and us it for the
application.  She is actually running the application on her machine, but
through a mapped drive she is pointing to a database on my computer.

Obviuosly, I could use dial-up networking and have her dial up my machine
and map a drive that way.  This is not the desired option for a couple
reasons.  First, my computer is NOT running NT server right now.  As I
understand it, I would need to upgrade my machine to Windows NT Server
before she could dial into mine.  Second, the performance over the phone
line would most likely be too slow and negate the benefit of networking the
application.

My question is how can we network our to machines together using our cable
modems.  We both access the internet via cable modems.  Both our machines
are running win2000 (millenium).  Both of us have static ip addresses so I
was hoping we could somehow use this to network them together.  We can ping
each others machine through DOS without any problem, so I know that the
communication works.

I would welcome any suggestions on how we can solve this problem.  Once
again, the goal is to be able to map a drive from my partner’s computer to
mine so when she logs into the application on her machine, she can browse to
my computer and select the database.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Please email me if you have any questions
or solutions.  Thanks!!

Stan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]