>But, upon reflection, I'm thinking that devices seeing the
>ARP reply are supposed to clear or update their cache if they have a
>different MAC cached (I'm too lazy to go look at the RFC).

Actually, this makes no sense -- the ARP reply isn't a broadcast :|

So I wonder why it wouldn't work for both NICs to reply.

What happens when a requestor sees two replies to an ARP request ?
Does he accept the first and drop the second?
Accept the first, use it for his original IP packet, then update his ARP
cache with the second reply and subsequent packets use the second
MAC address?

Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511