Glen,
What about this?
Set up 2 HSRP groups.
Group 1 would consist of MSM in slot 15 on CAT 1, and MSM in slot 15 on CAT
2.
Group 2 would consist of MSM in slot 16 on CAT 1, and MSM in slot 16 on CAT
2.
You said you have 2 VLANs.
What about setting 2 default gateways for VLAN 1 going to the virtual
interfaces for the 2 HSRP groups. Set the lower cost on the virtual
interface of HSRP group 1
Then for VLAN 2 also set 2 default gateways for the 2 HSRP virtual
interfaces. Set the lower cost on this one to the virtual interface on HSRP
group 2.
That way you would have each VLAN set to fail over to the other HSRP group
with the 2 default gateways and each HSRP group would obviously have
failover. You would have super failover.
Crazy idea? I'm interested to see the other responses. I am studying HSRP
and VRRP alot right now.