>I am confused as to the difference between RSM and MLS
>
>Of what i understand RSM is a router on a blade within a switch. The RSM
>still routes on a per packet basis
>wheras
>MLS routes the first packet and tags the rest for switching
>
>if the above is true... which of these is considered L3 Switching

You're falling into the trap I referred to earlier.  Don't think of
"routing," think of path determination and packet forwarding.

MLS is a way in which the packet forwarder (a client) can get a
forwarding table from the path determination process (a server).

An RSM can:

    do both path determination and packet forwarding
    act as a path determination server for a forwarder (e.g., NFFC)

Layer 3 switching is really no more than emphasizing there is a
separate path determination process and a forwarder, the latter which
has a hardware-assisted destination lookup.

The specific implementation of MLS is confusing because the first
packet to a destination must be forwarded via the same processor that
does path determination, so the path determination processor can
learn what it needs to build into the forwarding table in the
independent forwarder.