PIX - sounds like a router to me - packet forwarding
based on layer 3 addressing. It has extra security
features and all of a sudden it's a
firewall...marketing fluff? or accurate description???
who will uncover this mystery????  ;>

--- mtieast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think this comes from the fact that cisco
> instructors in class say that
> the Pix is not a router. I have heard this as well
> when I had the class.
>
> I know the Pix is not a router, but does it route?
> Well, if making decisions
> about where to send traffic based on layer 3 info is
> routing then I would
> argue it does route. It does not forward traffic
> based on layer 2 info so
>
> It routes traffic to the appropriate interface. Can
> someone else shed some
> light as to why this is said. If it doesn't route
> the traffic it recieves
> what does it do?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====
from The Big Lebowski...

The Dude: You sure he won't mind?
Bunny: Dieter doesn't care about anything. He's a nihilist.
The Dude: Ohhh, that must be exhausting...