Thats just how it works, its going to use the primary interfaces IP on
outgoing ping packets that orignate from the router.  Like you said, to
overcome that you do an extended ping.

Brian

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Andy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is a senerio I'm playing with, possibly the answer is sub-interfaces,
> but nonetheless... I have a cisco with a primary ethernet IP address, and
> two secondary IP addresses. When I go to ping another router in one of the
> subnets of one of the secondary IP addresses, it does so with the source
> address of the primary address on the interface, so the other router tries
> to send the response up its default. If the source address was the address
> that was actually in the subnet it was pinging it returns ok. I tested
> this with replacing the source address using extended pings. Any thoughts
> on how to make it behave the way I want it to. Thanks.
>
> Andy

          I'm buying used CISCO gear!!
              email me for a quote

Brian Feeny                 e:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CCNP+Voice/ATM/Security     p:318.222.2638x109
CCDP                        f:318.221.6612
Network Administrator
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)