The answer is usually on CCO if you can find it. Start with this:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/tr1915.htm

down, down is not good. Take care of the physical connectivity first. up,
down at least says that you have layer one. Use the show controllers s 0
(notice the space between the "s" and the "0". In older IOS that needed to
be there.) to verify the the interface sees the cable. You'll want the same
encapsulation on both ends. Default is HDLC. Verify that with a show int s0.
Once you have a link use show cdp neighbor to see the other end. IP doesn't
have to be working. You may have an addressing problem. Make a list of every
possible problem that you can imagine. Write down the steps that you think
will lead to verifying that condition as correct or not. Start
troubleshooting. If you fix a real problem and yet the link doesn't work -
continue troubleshooting. There may be two problems. Let me digress ....
A farmer in Vermont met his friend in the General Store. He said that he had
a problem. A skunk had wandered into his house. He wanted to get rid of it;
but didn't want to get sprayed. "No problem!", said his friend. "Skunks love
carrots. Buy a bunch of carrots. Cut them into small pieces and make a trail
from the house into the woods. Use a board to make a ramp down your front
steps. The skunk will start eating the carrots and soon will march right out
of the house." Several days later they met at the store. "You're right" the
farmer said,"skunks love carrots." "So you got rid of him", said the friend.
"No, now I've got two skunks!" was the reply.
Sometimes you've got two skunks. Believe in your troubleshooting abilities
and keep going. Good luck.