>Does your pix have a default route?
>Does your pix forward packets between subnets?
>Logically, then, the pix routes. Call it what you will, when forwarding
>between disparate networks, you route. I suppose cisco misunderstands the
>term "route" too.

Also confusing the terminology may be that the PIX product was a
Cisco acquisition.  Although the original manufacturer escapes me,
the pre-Cisco PIX had an excellent reputation.  I remember, however,
that when one read the first Cisco-revised manual, the PIX couldn't
POSSIBLY have worked as they described it.

Something that may help understand it, though -- think of the PIX not
as a conventional router, but as a multiple-interface server that
appears as a host on multiple subnets.  It needs a default gateway on
each of those subnets.

I agree that no classical description is "clean," but this is the
nature of midboxes.