On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Bradley J. Wilson wrote:

> ElephantChild wrote:
>
> RFC 1918, section 3:
>
>   "[...]Because private addresses have no global meaning, routing
> information
>    about private networks shall not be propagated on inter-enterprise
>    links, *and packets with private source or destination addresses
>    should not be forwarded across such links.*"
>
> ...But that's not what's happening in the case of the traceroute which
> started this discussion.  The only reason we're seeing those private
> addresses is because we're basically snooping around in someone else's
> network.  RFC 1918 is still being upheld - privately-addressed traffic is
> not being forwarded over inter-enterprise links.

and the packets being sourced or destined are not being done from rfc1918
space, just passing thru it.

> The difference is this: "information about private networks shall not be
> *propogated*"...meaning my routers must not actively advertise my private
> networks to external ASes.  Well, okay - the ISP isn't doing that.  But when
> we trace through a network using private addresses, we will see them - we're
> snooping around, but the routers aren't actively propogating those private
> numbers.
>
> I'm excited about IPv6...but if we can make v4 last a little while longer,
> hey, let's do it. ;-)
>
> BJ

    I'm buying / selling used CISCO gear!!
            email me for a quote

Brian Feeny,CCDP,CCNP+VAS Scarlett Parria
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
318-222-2638 x 109        318-222-2638 x 101

Netjam, LLC               http://www.netjam.net
1401 Oden St.
Suite 18
Shreveport, LA 71104