>Got it!  Because of my lack of experience with OSPF, the original
>question confused me until I thought through the configuration.  Until
>then, I still thought of routers or interfaces belonging to areas.  What
>really helped me to conceptualize this issue was to toss out that idea
>and think of only *links* as belonging to areas.

Yep.  There are several subtleties to this, until you really get an
emotional understanding of "link."  The idea that a router link
(i.e., type 1 LSA) is different than a physical router, and that it
can involve such weirdnesses as being a router link in each area to
which the physical router (or the OSPF process) connects.

Warnings though:  OSPF and ISIS look at things a little differently.
In OSPF, it is the interfaces of the single router that go into
different areas. In OSPF, it is more the concept of the physical
router being aware of its own area alone (i.e., type 1) or of other
areas and the backbone (type 2).

My new white paper on certificationzone.com, which should be up
tomorrow, compares link state protocols and scalable routing in
general.  A set of OSPF and ISIS specific papers will follow.