>I agree with that point. I work in a company and i always find them saying i
>am not experienced enough. I started of at 17.5 years and i am 22 now. I
>have my cne(4.11 and 5) MCSE(not that it's valid that much), Master
>CNE,CCNA,CCDA,CCNP and CCIE written is almost complete. I have designed and
>implemented networks consisting with upto 20 GSR and 10 6509, and done a lot
>on the troubleshooting area as a testing engineer. I have used equipment
>from smartbits to generate specific protocols traffic and see the network
>effects and much much more. But my manager says that he knows how capable i
>am and only gives me basic paper work like get this signed and finish the
>document etc. If i provide any solution they say i do not understand whats
>going on currently. And can you guess which company this is !!!! look at my
>email address and that should be enough.

It's not clear to me what you mean by paperwork.  Lots of paperwork,
I agree, has no function other than killing trees.

But a very real requirement in large organizations is to be able to
communicate your work, your real achievements, to others.  That takes
oral and written communications, which are real skills that need to
be honed.

At a fairly early point in my career, I found that there were a lot
of very interesting problems I wanted to work on, but that were
sufficiently complex that one person alone could not solve them.  The
solutions needed teams, so, if I wanted to work on such problems, I
needed to learn to communicate within teams.  If I wanted to lead
such teams, I also needed to learn to communicate with people outside
the team, both orally and in writing.

In no way does the ability to manage and communicate make me less
technical. It's an additional skill, although I freely admit lots of
managers give up technical competence in favor of organizational
skills.  Now, I have no problem saying that I probably don't
configure routers as fast as I once did, because I don't do it every
day.  On the other hand, I do less troubleshooting than I once did,
because I have more thoroughly worked-out designs, and I have decent
documentation of what went before. The second step I go through in
tuning an existing network is to get it documented, the first step
being to understand the perceived problems and goals. The third step
often is to sort out the differences between perception and reality.

Even in research on new router products, most of my time is not
hands-on.  No matter how good you are on hands-on skill, your career
will eventually stall if you can only work as an individual.