>Jess:
>
>Not to worry, I contacted AARP and was assured we can get a "senior
>discount" on
>blueberries and no-doze so we can compete with these young
>whipper-snappers!  :)
>
>Tom Lisa, Instructor, CCNA, CCAI
>Community College of Southern Nevada
>Cisco Regional Networking Academy

You contacted the AppleTalk Address Resolution Protocol?

More seriously, some stereotyping is floating around.  I'm thinking
of one of the most charismatic, impatient to fools yet committed to
teaching those willing to learn, and out-of-the-box crazy thinkers
I've ever met:  Grace Murray Hopper. Gee...I may have met her when
she wasn't even 70 yet.

I was saddened by an obituary I ran across today:  Claude Shannon.
Shannon was the father of modern information theory. Shannon died on
February 24, of Alzheimer's disease...which must have had to work
very hard to conquer such a mind.   Having passed earlier, but also
not to be forgotten, was Norbert Wiener.  We throw around the
buzzword "cyber" so freely these days, but we forget Wiener was the
person who formally defined "cybernetics."

On a brighter note, involving even older people who are still vidal
and active,Vint Cerf is the only person that does attend the IETF in
a three-piece suit, which is treated as an honorary T-shirt.

I can see someone young in years resenting a Dilbert-style manager
who holds their position by playing corporate games.  But don't leap
to conclusions -- someone who simply is "older" might very well be
more technical.

MCI's ads about Generation D thoroughly annoy me, with their talk of
"Generation D," the first generation that's grown up digital.
Ummm...take a look at a wonderful book called _The Victorian
Internet_.  While there is debate about the 1790-ish French semaphore
system being digital in the modern sense, the Morse telegraph in 1845
is digital (if you'll include pulse width modulation in the
definition and had recognizable protocols.   I don't know, offhand,
when the teletypewriter was invented, but Nyquist's theorems on
bandwidth were published in 1928.

Depending on how you define "computer" (does it need a stored
program, or self-modifiable program?), the first digital computer was
late-1930 (Eckert & Mauchly, and the independent German developer
whose name escapes me), or around 1950 with Von Neumann machines.
FORTRAN was available in 1956 or so, admittedly when the head of IBM
thought there would be a national market for about 6 computers.
There were packet networks in the early 1970s.

Exactly when did "Generation D" start?

Some of us older folk have been getting better at this for a long,
long time, and haven't slowed down. Might have changed emphasis.