I just got this, which may be of interest to some...

-----

March 1, 2001

Dear CCIE Candidate,

We are contacting you to confirm that you are currently scheduled for a
CCIE lab exam and that we will soon be implementing some program
changes that may have an impact upon you.

After a rigorous evaluation of our current cost structure, we find it
necessary to increase our CCIE Lab exam fee to reflect our current cost
of doing business.  The present $1,000 lab fee has been in effect since
the CCIE organization was first launched in 1993. Effective on April 1,
2001, we will begin charging customers $1,250 US per lab attempt, (plus
any applicable local taxes).

Since you have already received an email confirmation from Cisco
regarding the current lab fee of $1,000 US (plus any applicable taxes),
we would be happy to honor that price as long as we receive payment no
later than March 31, 2001.  If we receive payment from you following that
date, the new lab fee will apply. If you decide to pay after April 1,
2001 this email will also serve as a new confirmation.