If the cost of the lab went up to $2500 - I think most people would still
pay. (Oops, did I just write that?)

I don't think it's an attempt to reduce the number of candidates vs. a
recognized stream for added revenue. As a cynic, I think it has very
little to do with rising costs.

Supply and demand at work, I think.