I had one of these Firmware 1924's in my lab awhile back.  You need a =
DB9 to DB9 Null Modem Cable.  I think I bought mine from one of those =
discount websites for 4.95 + $3 shipping.  I suspect you only see garble =
when consoling into the box.  You get the appearance of misconfigured =
Hypterm speeds setting.=20

Good Luck
Phil

"Brad Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
97tssg$pbb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:97tssg$pbb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Im guessing it's an older 1924?  I had a similar problem a couple =
years ago.
> You need to get/make a different console cable.  I think it's just a
> null-modem cable, but I can't be 100% certain (memory just isnt what =
it used
> to be).  Call TAC and get the cable-pinouts.
>=20
> Hope that helps.
> -Brad Ellis
> CCIE#5796
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.optsys.net
>=20
> ""Marco Rodrigues"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> 97sk88$fei$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:97sk88$fei$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hello group,
> >
> >     I recently got a hold of a Catalyst WS-C1924C-A. I want to begin =
the
> > process of upgrading it to Enterprise edition. Problem is I can't =
get a
> > console on the switch. My original problem was getting something on =
my
> > HyperTerm/SecureCRT/tips/minicom whatever. I use to get garbage
> characters.
> > From recent threads I read that I have to get a hold of a null modem =
cable
> > which I have. Problem now is when I type something on the emulator I
> > actually see my characters being typed in but I get no output on the
> screen.
> > The terminal setting are fine (9600 8N1).  Should I be rebooting the
> switch
> > and doing something before startup? I've tried holding down the mode
> button
> > as it starts up and nothing.  The documentation doesn't seem to =
specify
> > anything specific so that's what I'm asking here.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

> > Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to =
[EMAIL PROTECTED]