At 06:07 PM 3/6/01, NetEng wrote:
>Does HSRP work at the interface level or is the entire router on
>acvtive/stand-by? In other words, if I have two routers working in HSRP and
>a link goes down somewhere down the line, will the first router know to
>fail-over to the second router (with a good link)?

Interesting question. The first router would have to lose its connectivity
to the second router. Routers that are running HSRP send and receive
multicast UDP-based hello packets to detect router failure and to designate
active and standby routers. HSRP detects when the designated active router
fails because of the lack of hello packets, at which point a selected
standby router assumes control of the Hot Standby group's MAC and IP
addresses. A new standby router is also selected at that time.

Remember HSRP stands for Hot Standby Router Protocol, not Hot Standby
Routing protocol. It's the default router for LAN devices that's on
standby. If you think of HSRP as a routing protocol, then you will tend to
think it does more than it does. I think to solve your problem you need a
"real" routing protocol, although without more info, it's hard to say for
sure.

Priscilla