Can't this be treated as two separate issues - the HSRP and the routing.
If BGP peers are set up effectively in a triangle between remote office and
central site over the two links, they should be able to run independantly of
HSRP.
If the active router receives a packet but BGP tells it that the only route
is via the standby router, can it not route this packet via the standby
router anyway?

Must admit my BGP is pretty basic but it's about to get more involved with a
similar scenario to that above, so please flame away if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Gareth

"Priscilla Oppenheimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Now, this is the kind of situation the various design certs should test
on!
> &;-)
>
> Regarding your actual question, have you considered a Layer-8 solution?
> Depending on who you talk to, Layer 8 deals with money, politics,
planning,
> etc. My thinking is that you should select a provider that gives you peace
> of mind regarding resiliency within the provider's network. Howard talked
> about scope. Worrying about routes failing within your provider's network
> should be outside your scope. Sure, you might have to pay extra for this
> "peace of mind." But can you get a service-level agreement that gives you
this?

> Now, if your link to the provider dies, then you should be able to
failover
> to the other provider. That much is within your scope. But worrying about
> routes within your providers' networks should theoretically be outside
your
> scope.
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 09:10 AM 3/7/01, NetEng wrote:
> >Thanks to everyone for the help. My questions have been answered (for
now).
> >What I'm trying to do is; I have multiple remote offices where I want to
> >create a VPN tunnel across one provider to the corporate office. In case
> >that the provider goes down, I need to have the second provider take over
> >(with a new tunnel of course). The fail-over with BGP is the easy part.
The
> >other guy working on this thinks everything should be running in HSRP,
and I
> >don't/didn't think HSRP would allow the stand-by router to become active
> >with the failure being somewhere in the providers network. I thought that
> >could run them in parallel and let a dynamic routing protocol do the
> >deciding. However, I heard IPSEC breaks routing protocols. I also heard
that
> >you can run them throught a GRE tunnel and not encrypt them. This is all
> >still theory until we get some equipment in to do the pilot. Has anyone
> >tried doing this? I'll try this out (track command) and thanks again for
the
> >info.
> >
> >Collin
> >
> >P.S. Priscilla your book rocks.
> >
> >""NetEng"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >98423i$l2e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:98423i$l2e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Does HSRP work at the interface level or is the entire router on
> > > acvtive/stand-by? In other words, if I have two routers working in
HSRP
> >and
> > > a link goes down somewhere down the line, will the first router know
> > > fail-over to the second router (with a good link)? I have one router
> > > connected to one ISP and a second router connected to a second ISP.
Can