What checking did you do to verify that it wasn't a clocking issue?  Did
you make sure the clock rate was added to the DCE side?

I'd also check out the cables.  Are these special back-to-back cables
or do you have a DCE and DTE cable attached to each other?  Do you have
any other cables available to do some testing?

Beyond that, perhaps you could turn on some debugging to see if that
provides any hints.  Also, do a show controllers on each interface.
Does the DCEside show a clockrate configured?  Does the DTE side
recognize the clock?

Good luck,
John

>>> "Ray Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/13/01 4:20:25 PM >>>
Hey guys,

I have two Cisco 4000 series routers with 4 serial interfaces each
(DB60).
I recently bought some new cables and decided to try out the cables,
and to
test out the interfaces for the first time since having the routers.

Anyway, whenever I connect either 1 of the 4000 series router to a 2501
or
the two 4000 series, I notice that the interfaces (seconds after
enabling
the interface)changing to a down state (s0 up, line protociol down and
some
times s0 down, line protocol down).  It is just a simple connection
back to
back with RIP on the the interface.  It is not a clocking issue,
because I
made sure to look into that.  I am thinking now that maybe it is the
intrface modules that is bad ....I could be wrong though.  Do you have
any
suggestions.

Ray