i have

aaa authentication ppp default local group radius

does the local make a difference?  would any other aaa settings have an
effect on my situation? this is the complete top half of the config:

aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default group radius local
aaa authentication login console none
aaa authentication login secure group radius enable
aaa authentication login vty line none
aaa authentication login dialup-login group radius local
aaa authentication ppp default local group radius
aaa authorization exec default if-authenticated group radius local
aaa authorization network default group radius if-authenticated local
aaa accounting update newinfo
aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius