1)    CCNP and CCDP is a staring point, from the name of the exam, you will
see.
       Foundation routing and switching.  CCNP/DP just a stepstone to CCIE

2)    CCIE can demonstrate the lab and means they can do something.
       CCIE is a stepstone to real networking world.

"John Neiberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó
> [...]
> to have decent reasoning skills.  For me, I had reached a new plateau and
> was totally psyched about it.  At this point I thought I might never be
able
> to grasp even CCNP-level concepts, as I was just really getting a hold on
> material at my current level.  I wasn't content, yet I was glad that I had
> reached one of my first major goals.
>
> It was later, while still a CCNA, that I would interact from time to time
> with other CCNA-level people who had not had the benefit of employer-paid
> classes and hands-on experience.  Because I tend to be egocentric and
expect
> everyone to be like me <g> I would sometimes be surprised that they could
> not answer what I thought was a simple question.  I began to be concerned
> that the CCNA was really too easy, not remembering how hard I had studied
> for months.  That was easy??  It was pretty dang hard at the time!
>
> My concerns grew when I would interact with CCNP-level people who also
could
> not answer questions that I thought they should have known the answers to.
> Now I was worried that CCNP was too easy and I hadn't even gotten there
yet!
> It seemed pretty hard to me at the time and it took me longer to get it
than
> I originally expected.
>
> After finally reaching CCNP and then CCDP, I wasn't as excited as I was
> about getting CCNA.  I think at this point, the further we progress the
more
> we realize how much we don't know, especially when faced with the daunting
> CCIE written and lab.
>
> In hindsight, it should be noted that the certification does not make the
> person.  There are CCNA-level people out there who are far more advanced
> than I, and there are CCNPs out there who can't troubleshoot their way out
> of a paper sack.  I find that this is largely dependent on personal work
> experience.  A CCNA with four years experience in a production environment
> is probably going to be more advanced than a CCNP with two years under his
> belt.
>
> When expecting a certain level of knowledge, we should look at both
> certifications as well as the actual experience of the person in question.
>
> Okay, with all of that said, I must agree in part with the original
poster.
> It does concern me sometimes when a CCNP-level person doesn't seem to
> understand a basic CCNA-level concept.  I think this is because I'm
worried
> that since I'm also a CCNP, someone might encounter this person and assume
> that the CCNP certification must not mean very much if they don't
understand
> even basic concepts.
>
> In the end, though, I don't know if really matters that much.
> Certifications should never be the final arbiter of a persons abilities.
If